Granted, pantyhose have their place and are somewhat of a necessity to a woman's wardrobe for business or formal attire. On the rare occasion that I do wear them, I just don't like them. And there you have it! But I may be in the minority. Sales figures show that 80 million women love them! (Really?) But what to do with all those pairs that end up at the bottom of sock drawers? Before you throw them away, know this: Pantyhose cannot be recycled, and are not biodegradable. Disposing of the item contributes to landfills and burning them burning them releases toxins into the environment. So here is a list of 10 creative things you can do with your old hosiery:
- Old pantyhose makes excellent stuffing for washable childrens' stuffed toys.
- Stuff your pet's mattress with old pantyhose.
- Repair sagging chair cushions by stuffing them with pantyhose.
- Gardeners can use strips of fabric to tie up plants in the garden.
- If you drop something small on the floor and can’t find it (such as a button, earring etc), cut the leg off some old pantyhose and put it over the end on the vacuum hose. The suction will lift up the lost object and leave it stuck to the pantyhose.
- Use leg sections to store onions and potatoes. Tie a knot and hang up.
- Use to cover a kid's bug jar, instead of hammering holes through the lid.
- Cut the elastic waistband and use to secure a garbage liner to the bin.
- Use as a flowerpot liner to prevent soil erosion when you water your houseplants.
- Fill pantyhose foot with homemade potpourri, cinnamon or lavender and then hang in closets, place in drawers, store in the bathrooms, etc.
20 Extraordinary Uses for Old Pantyhose
Find New Uses for Used Pantyhose
21 Interesting Uses for Old Pantyhose
You can read more about the whole "history of hose" here.
Happy eco-stepping...right on outta those pantyhose!