Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Easter Eggs, Eco-Style

It's a "light" posting week here at Eco-Steps, but with the Easter Bunny swiftly approaching, I felt it was appropriate to share this short YouTube video for ideas on how to decorate Easter eggs, have fun, and be nice to Mother Nature (and our kids!).  I can't guarantee that I'll be doing any of the suggested crafts, but it's good to know that they're out there and that all I need to do is click "Play."  Happy Eco Easter! 

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

15 Totally Recyclable Materials That Most Of Us Keep Forgetting About

Shared from Greenwala.

Aerosol Cans
Mostly made of steel (and in certain cases aluminum), various types of disinfectants, hairsprays, paints and shaving creams are typically dispensed from aerosol cans and can be easirecycled through well over 5,300 US based programs as long as they are completely empty.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Water, Water...Nowhere?

Approximately 2/3 of our planet is covered by water.  But how much of it is usable for humans?  The answer: 1%.  That's it. Only 1% of the water on our planet is considered fresh water and usable by humans.  The other 99%, we can't really use. Let that sink in for a few seconds.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's Just Another Meatless Monday

If you're humming the Bangles' tune Manic Monday right now, you're definitely a child of the 80's.  And now that I have your attention, let's talk about meat.  (You can still hum along if you'd like).  The Great American Meat Out is coming soon on Saturday, March 20th.  As mentioned in previous posts, I know that people can get touchy when it comes to food, especially meat.  But this post isn't so much about telling anyone what we should or shouldn't eat, it's bigger than that.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lighten Up by Going Green

My last posts were pretty serious, and with good reason.  So I am going to lighten it up a bit for this installment.  After all, it’s March, the beginning of Spring, and we’re supposed to be thinking green.  We celebrate all things Irish, blossoms arrive on tree branches and grass begins to poke through the melting snow.  With that said, what are you doing to bring more green into your life?  What little changes could you make, or eco-steps could you take to make our world a greener place? 

Thursday, March 4, 2010

MSG by Any Other Name: Part III

If consuming monosodium glutamate (MSG) and its related substances is safe, then why do we need a “Cheeseburger Bill?”  Otherwise known as the Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act, (which has not yet become law so there’s still time…), the Cheeseburger Bill was initiated and passed by the House of Representatives to prevent people from suing fast food companies, manufacturers, advertisers, etc., for causing weight gain, obesity or any other associated health problem.  Plainly stated, the government does not want you to sue any of these places for making you sick or fat.  Now, I am all for personal responsibility when it comes to the food choices we make for ourselves.  But, if we don’t know what’s in our food that’s making us sick and fat, is that our fault?